Friday, August 22, 2008

My "Anti-List" List

Top Three Reasons NOT To Make A List
  1. It brings to mind all the things I want to do, but don't have time to.
  2. It allows me to procrastinate doing the things I don't want to do.
  3. It gives the illusion of perfection which can never be reached. There will always be more things to add to the list. As one item gets crossed off the list, another one can always be added.
Instead, I am trying to do one thing at a time. The idea is this: As something occurs to me to do - I do it. (some of the time) I try to ignore the fifty other tasks that are brewing. It takes less energy to do this, rather than to add it to a list or let it marinate in my head.

A friend of mine told me a story of a child who was overwhelmed by a school "bird report". His mother told him, "Just do it bird by bird". Whenever I feel overwhelmed, I try to think of this story. After each "bird" is complete - I feel more accomplished, and less out of control. This is something making a list can never do!

No comments: